- M and L are differentiated in 3 ways:

- Goal setting: PlanningVs. Vision Setting;

- Staffing:Organizing Vs. aligning ppl;

- Stuffing: ControlVs. Motivate ppl

- Finally: Leadership culture

Knowledge from the article:

1. Management Vs. Leadership;

2. M or L more important in terms of context:

- Management: cope with complexity,so it is response to the emergence of large corporations in 20th century;

- Leadership: cope with changes, so it isresponse to dynamic and volatile business environment (tech changes,E-commence...)

3. Management system works by comparing system behaviorwith the plan and take actions when deviation is detected;

4. The role of "planning": it serves as a complementaryof vision setting. What "strategy" is to "leadership" iswhat "planning" is to "management";

5. Why we have to organizing / aligning people: a centralfeature of modern organization is interdependence, where no one has completeautonomy, where most people are tied to others by their work, resources,technology, system... These linkages present the major challenge to makingorganizational-wide changes.

Linkage to my daily work & personalexperience

Planning w/oclear vision

The name of my department goes like "strategicplanning", but until read this article, I never realize the main body ofmy work - planning- should be conducted under the alignment of vision of thecompany. However, it is not the case of the reality.  In a relatively bureautic industry, the vision of the company is rarely shared with the base levelemployee. Consequently, the planning is not a complementary process, devisingprocedures for vision implementation. By contrast, they fall into purelyprocess procedures, therefore, time-absorbing. For instance, each annual budgetplanning for all APAC R&D centers follow pretty much similar processes.However, each year's plan takes months and tongs of arguments before closing.The major reason is the future vision of the company is always fuzzy, so peopleare easily trapped by dozens of irrelevant details, as key reference - vision -is never revealed.

Motivatingpeople

Quite a few people around me quite MNC or major servicesfirm jobs and join start-ups. Myself is among the group, who are longing forrealizing it the other day. Why? There are always untapped exiting inner humanneeds - needs for achievement, sense of belonging, recognition, sense ofcontrol over one's life... Without fulfilling the formers, whatdo MNC and top-tier service firms satisfy people? - Security.

Therefore, the choice of career is a choice of lifestyle, is a trade-off of inner human needs.

Structure of the article:
- Clearly state that Management & Leadership are different;
- What is M and what is L?
- M and L are differentiated in 3 ways:
        - Goal setting: Planning Vs. Vision Setting;
        - Staffing: Organizing Vs. aligning ppl;
        - Stuffing: Control Vs. Motivate ppl
- Finally: Leadership culture

Knowledge from the article:
1. Management Vs. Leadership;
2. M or L more important in terms of context:
    - Management: cope with complexity, so it is response to the emergence of large corporations in 20th century;
    - Leadership: cope with changes, so it is response to dynamic and volatile business environment (tech changes, E-commence...)
3. Management system works by comparing system behavior with the plan and take actions when deviation is detected;
4. The role of "planning": it serves as a complementary of vision setting. What "strategy" is to "leadership" is what "planning" is to "management";
5. Why we have to organizing / aligning people: a central feature of modern organization is interdependence, where no one has complete autonomy, where most people are tied to others by their work, resources, technology, system... These linkages present the major challenge to making organizational-wide changes.

Linkage to my daily work & personal experience
Planning w/o clear vision
The name of my department goes like "strategic planning", but until read this article, I never realize the main body of my work - planning- should be conducted under the alignment of vision of the company. However, it is not the case of the reality.  In a relatively bureau tic industry, the vision of the company is rarely shared with the base level employee. Consequently, the planning is not a complementary process, devising procedures for vision implementation. By contrast, they fall into purely process procedures, therefore, time-absorbing. For instance, each annual budget planning for all APAC R&D centers follow pretty much similar processes. However, each year's plan takes months and tongs of arguments before closing. The major reason is the future vision of the company is always fuzzy, so people are easily trapped by dozens of irrelevant details, as key reference - vision - is never revealed.

Motivating people
Quite a few people around me quite MNC or major services firm jobs and join start-ups. Myself is among the group, who are longing for realizing it the other day. Why? There are always untapped exiting inner human needs - needs for achievement, sense of belonging, recognition, sense of control over one's life... Without fulfilling the formers, what do MNC and top-tier service firms satisfy people? - Security.

Therefore, the choice of career is a choice of life style, is a trade-off of inner human needs.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 没有账号?

Archiver|手机版|BeBeyond:求职|留学|MBA

GMT+8, 2018-9-21 05:01 , Processed in 0.092357 second(s), 9 queries .