找回密码
 没有账号?
搜索
热搜: 活动 交友 discuz
查看: 9322|回复: 13

《BeBeyond Alumni友情在线问答》:哥伦比亚大学商学院 host by Angie [复制链接]

发表于 2007-10-5 11:11:15 |显示全部楼层
Dear all,

Angie, one of our former teammates and now studying at Columbia, volunteered to help answer questions about Columbia here at the forum. As you all know that first-year student is super busy, so she promised to come to the forum once or twice a week to answer questions. For the general questions, she will answer here, and for the case-sensitive questions, especially for those who are applying to Columiba, Angie also volunteered to answer some of them through email. However, due to her busy schedule, let's filter out the general questions here first at the forum.

You can get her email address later from JuanJuan, Wei, and/or me. However, let's do find out more about schools before troubling our busy alumni with basic questions.

Thanks to Angie!

So, guys, just ask your questions about Columbia by replying to this message.

发表于 2007-10-5 16:54:43 |显示全部楼层

RE: Help from Columbia BeBeyond Alumni

Hi, Angie,

Could you please help to elaborate more that "All of the courses of Columbia are teaching on a global perspective"?

发表于 2007-10-5 23:34:39 |显示全部楼层

Dear Angie,

So pleased having you to give us insider's view on Columbia to all of us.

Here is Steven Zhang, BBY classmates of 0307 in Shanghai. Say 'Hi' to you and deliver the regards of my 11 classmates to you as well.

My question:

- Columbia is famous for its exceptional strength in financial services, in your personal view, however, for what reason that she introduces publicly more on her entrepreneurish focus?

Look forward to your reply

Thanks indeed!

发表于 2007-10-9 01:33:53 |显示全部楼层

[quote=biancawang]
Hi, Angie,

Could you please help to elaborate more that "All of the courses of Columbia are teaching on a global perspective"?
[/quote]

For core courses:

So far most of the cases (for Corporate Finance, Accounting, Strategy, etc.) are about American companies. We will have more cases that are about foreign companies later in the semester.

For non-core courses (a.k.a electives)

The cases will be more "global". The Chazen Institute of Columbia Business School has lots of classes, seminars and presentations that focus international business or practices.

Also, Columbia has partner-schools outside of the States and lots of the courses taught in those schools are "global-based".

发表于 2007-10-9 01:47:52 |显示全部楼层

[quote=stevenzhj]
My question:

- Columbia is famous for its exceptional strength in financial services, in your personal view, however, for what reason that she introduces publicly more on her entrepreneurish focus?
[/quote]

Try to think "entrepreneurship" in a much broader sense.

Columbia is encouraging "having an entrepreneurial spirit" while doing everything of your career life or even personal life. It is not about a certain industry or certain function of a certain industry, it is an attitude + ability + executional practices.

1. An entrepreneural spirit means: take ownership of everything you do, e.g. be positive and proactive, be risk-taking, able to transfer a crisis into an opportunity, able to source out opportunities and leverage them, able to build up business relationships, able to form a team and then lead it, etc.

2. You don't have to start/manage your own business/company to be entrepreneurial.

Example:

Head of a division of a MNC need to be entrepreneurial to lead his team to enter into a new market/new location, or even initiate a new product/service for this MNC. How about an Morgan Stanley banker initiated the derivatives business for the bank? Or an McKinsey parter initiated the private equity service for McKinsey? Both requires "entrepreneurial spirits, abilities and executional practices".

发表于 2007-10-11 23:32:53 |显示全部楼层

RE: 《BeBeyond Alumni友情在线问答》:哥伦比亚大学商学院 host by Angie

Dear Angie,

Clear now. Thanks so much!!

发表于 2007-10-22 17:02:43 |显示全部楼层

Hi those interested in Columbia Business School,

Please find below the link to Columbia Business School in our "BeBeyond B-school Highlights" series. It is a brief yet insightful introduction of the school and its charm.

Click to check out:  Columbia highlights

发表于 2007-10-27 01:49:12 |显示全部楼层

Age: Columbia (and possibly other schools as well) seems to recruit younger students, 1/3 of my class were born in 1982, and 1/2 of my class were born after 1980.

Int'l students are slightly older than domestic (American) students.

We definately have students over 30, 32 even, but I guess the number of such students will be less in the coming years.

发表于 2007-11-2 02:34:14 |显示全部楼层

Job placement:

No. 1 recruiter in financial services industry: Goldman (actually Columbia is Goldman's number one associate feeder, leading Wharton and HBS by a narrow margin)

No. 1 recruiter in consulting: McKinsey

发表于 2012-4-11 17:57:24 |显示全部楼层
Thanks for sharing!
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 没有账号?

Archiver|手机版|BeBeyond:求职|留学|MBA

GMT+8, 2018-2-19 13:45 , Processed in 0.108951 second(s), 10 queries .