找回密码
 没有账号?
搜索
热搜: 活动 交友 discuz
楼主: Jinbo

《BeBeyond Alumni友情在线问答》:西北大学商学院 host by Lynn [复制链接]

发表于 2007-10-13 14:11:21 |显示全部楼层

RE: 《BeBeyond Alumni友情在线问答》:西北大学商学院 host by Lynn

Thanks a lot Lynn. I think the only area to develop is to play hard, as I always work hard...haha.

James

发表于 2007-10-15 15:02:31 |显示全部楼层

Lynn,
One concern I have on my leadership experience is that as a junior banker I have had few opportunities to lead people. My leadership potential is mainly demonstrated by self-motivation, initiative, influence senior people, etc. Does this constitute an obstacle in the admissions process? Shall I just focus on these qualities or try to squeeze some experience of really leading people (like guiding summer interns)? I ask because I feel Kellogg like people with longer working experience.
Please let me know how you feel. Thanks a lot.

james

发表于 2007-10-16 12:09:07 |显示全部楼层

James,
I have no data about the average working years of Class2009 at Kellogg. However, I think it should in the range of the average of all top business schools. But, if just considering the students coming directly from China in these two years, you might be right. The students from industry do have an average working experience of five years. Anyway, we also have students from consulting who only has three years working experience. So, my personal opinion is that if you are from consulting or i-banking, you should totally forget the question you brought here.

As for leadership, I think it has a broad meaning other than leading subordinates. Your examples are all good illustrations.

All in all, do not forget what you learnt from BBY. Be yourself. Top Business schools admit all kinds of people. Focus on you, no need to predict the preference of school since there is no preference at all. At least it is true to Kellogg.

发表于 2007-10-16 12:51:04 |显示全部楼层

Lynn, your comments are inspiring. Thanks a lot.

发表于 2007-10-24 11:21:06 |显示全部楼层

Lynn,
I have been assigned an alumnus interview. What general tips / lessons can you share with me? Thanks.

发表于 2007-10-25 17:28:34 |显示全部楼层

Hi, Lynn,
I want an information urgently for an applicant. Can you help to find out if there has been any precedent in your B-school to admit a person with only 专科 degree from a three years education?

发表于 2007-10-26 10:08:35 |显示全部楼层

Anna,

As far as I know, there is no such case among Chinese students of these three years. However, I strongly suggest to write email to ask the admission office. They have the final say.

发表于 2007-10-26 10:13:19 |显示全部楼层

James,

Sorry for late reply. I have midterm these two weeks. I will try to write something about interview preparation next week. However, what I can suggest is no more than "be yourself". Moreover, be aware that bad interview is something can stop you while a good one only also cannot gurantee a offer.

发表于 2007-10-26 10:13:20 |显示全部楼层

James,

Sorry for late reply. I have midterm these two weeks. I will try to write something about interview preparation next week. However, what I can suggest is no more than "be yourself". Moreover, be aware that bad interview is something can stop you while a good one only also cannot gurantee a offer.

发表于 2007-11-12 12:49:15 |显示全部楼层

About interview

These days, I have read quite some interview reports. Cann't believe that, at the similar time of last year, I was also struggling with my interviews. I still remember how frustrated I was when I had not got an interview from my dream school and how nervous I was when I got interviews last year.

I assume BBYer have already thought over about what they want to convey at interview and mocked quite some based on sample questions. Beyond this assumption, I want to emphasis some points here about interview, as well as waiting for interview.

1. Be yourself
It's simple. You've learned and been coached for countless times at BBY. But, it is still a tough job, if not the toughest one. However, you really need to be yourself. If you dare not to be yourself, where is your confidence? What makes you shinning as a person not a number?

2. Be Consistent
It is not a good strategy to provide totally different complementary information at interview. It is weird to find the person in the essay and the person in the interview are not matching. It is also not good to find the reason the reader of your essay want to offer you is totally different from the reason your interviewer want to offer you.

3. Be Relax
I did not get in any school in the first round last year. But, I got in all schools with scholarships in the second round. The reason I believe is that I was too nervous in the first round. In both essays and interviews for the first round, I always tried to explain why I had not worked in two years and how I could compensate. In second round, I was tired of explaining. I thought, this was just me.  I show it, you appreciate, take me, not, refuse me. I am still myself, outstanding, confident and successul. ( By the way, it is really great to go to the school values and appreciates you most. If they take you for some reason, they will support you fully for that.)

4. Work as a team
Waiting is killing. Not everyone can get in the first school they applied. You need a team to support you for the toughest or darkest time. Trust me, if not for my dear teammates in M0106, I might failed. I am lucky. In fact, they are still the friend I can only trust in US now.

5. Trust yourself ( To those still waiting)
Every year, there are always some people not lucky enough. If you have done whatever single thing you could improve for application, if you believe you are outstanding, just trust yourself. Do not feel bad when you cannot get interview, do not doubt yourself when you cannot get an offer. All you need is just luck. Try second round or next year.
Anyway, I do hope all BBYers have good luck this year.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 没有账号?

Archiver|手机版|BeBeyond:求职|留学|MBA

GMT+8, 2018-7-16 14:28 , Processed in 0.105150 second(s), 8 queries .