BeBeyond Forums

找回密码
 没有账号?
搜索
热搜: 活动 交友 discuz
楼主: Jinbo

《BeBeyond Alumni友情在线问答》:哈佛商学院 host by Michelle (Sparkles) [复制链接]

发表于 2007-11-11 15:42:05 |显示全部楼层

RE: 《BeBeyond Alumni友情在线问答》:哈佛商学院 host by Michelle (Sparkles)

Thank you Sparkle for the sharing. Yeah, in the end everyone is going to die. What makes one different is what he has done to society and other people when he is alive. My vision is to do something meaningful, either through my career, or with community services.
Just like the power of love, the power of faith and responsiblity is unlimited in what it creates and sustains.

发表于 2007-11-11 15:53:15 |显示全部楼层

I had a similar experience in college when I was diagnosed by some (insane) doctor to have a serious heart disease and advised to plant a pacemaker in my heart - gosh, I feel fortunate I was poor as I could not afford the RMB 50,000 expense!

I was gloomy, desperate and sometimes thought (as others did) I would be gone. But I survived my mental distress and found ways to overcome - enjoy everyday and have passion for life! Be happy and do something you like! I chose not to stay in the bed and learned to play guitar, read JinYong's novels, attend every exam, enrolled in a second degree study and took GREs and TOEFLs...

I made it. I am now working 100 hours a week as a healthy man and I am seeking more challenges and responsibilities.

The thing I learned from this experience - trust yourself, have faith and be happy, and miracle may happen. And who cares even if it does not happen?

I sincerely wish the person in the video will recover.

发表于 2007-11-12 02:38:58 |显示全部楼层

Hi, James,

Your story is touching to me: really can feel the strong power inside you. I wish you get into your dream school! BTW, the guy in the video is not lucky and now the virus is hitting his head - he is facing death.

Sparkles

发表于 2007-11-12 03:09:10 |显示全部楼层

Recently, more and more prospect students are visiting our class. Some of them are having interviews. One afternoon I met an applicant who asked me the way to the admission office. I can see so clearly the nervous expression on his face and he asked me the advice for interview. All those kept reminding me of the days a year ago. Actually I was the same nervous at that time. But meanwhile I also realized time runs so fast and half of my first year is almost done.

I remembered in one of TOM (Technology&Operations Mangement) class, the professor asked us the formula for job. (TOM is a course full of formulas and calculations - which makes me feel so fuzzy)  Someone said Job = Function (location, job function, Industry) as we were warned by our career office we better only change 1 or 2 of these 3 variables as our first step. Later someone mentioned passion. Our professor kept pushing the answers: why we need passion for job? I think the answer is quite obvious and we all had demonstrated that in our application essays. But I like one point my professor said: B-school could teach us a lot of hard skills and soft skills about business. However, passion is the thing which cannot be taught here. B-school could change a lot of your business perspective, but your passion, your value actually would not be changed. You have to constantly ask yourself and find it.

I truly wish people get into their dream school with the passion for their career.

发表于 2007-11-12 12:06:08 |显示全部楼层

I truly agree that passion is the thing nobody can teach you and nothing can take away from you. Even death cannot steal your passion. However, sometimes, passion cannot save your life, but, it can change the way you facing death. It is already amazing enough.

PS, 看到在讨论death和passion,呵呵,忍不住过来凑下热闹,Michelle, 不要怪。

发表于 2007-11-12 23:29:28 |显示全部楼层

RE:  《BeBeyond Alumni友情在线问答》:哈佛商学院 host by Michelle (Sparkles)

[quote=Sparkles]
Hi, James,

Your story is touching to me: really can feel the strong power inside you. I wish you get into your dream school! BTW, the guy in the video is not lucky and now the virus is hitting his head - he is facing death.

Sparkles
[/quote]

My god... so sad to hear that

发表于 2007-11-13 21:08:39 |显示全部楼层

Really sorry to hear that.

发表于 2007-11-14 19:50:52 |显示全部楼层

Sparkle,

Some "tough" questions:
What leadership skills do you think you will gain from HBS?
And what are your biggest challenges at HBS?

Thanks!

发表于 2007-11-18 17:27:23 |显示全部楼层

Hi
i wanna know something about
how you manage your time everyday and what is strongly demanded there ^-^

发表于 2007-11-20 05:50:49 |显示全部楼层

Hi, sorry to reply late.

For James and Managewell,

What leadership skills do you think you will gain from HBS?

HBS provides us a great framwork to think about leadership. Our foundation leadership course is divided into 4 modules:
1) One on one relationship: including vertical (how to manage your boss and your surbordinate.) and horizontal relationship (how to set up relationship with managers in other departments.)
2) One on team relationship: how to lead a team and maximize the potentail of the team.
3) One on organization: how to align organization and lead the change.
4) How to develop your own leadership.

Before joining HBS, most of us had some leadership experience in different settings but in most cases we behaved just intuitively. However, now HBS provides us a chance to systematically think through the framework such as culture piece, context etc. You can either gain some pieces you haven't learn from previous experience (e.g. how to communicate your vision through organization etc. ) or you could also learn from your classmates how they perceive human behavior in the real life. I personally felt that I gained a much broader, deeper and sophisticated perspective towards people behaviors.

But even so, realistic speaking, the course can only improve our skillset and provides us framework for diagnosing/solving the problem. The true leadership can be only developed through the real challenges or failures we will face in the future. So far I haven't finished the course and therefore this answer is still preliminary. But to be honest, lead course is so awesome at HBS.

What are your biggest challenges at HBS? How you manage your time everyday and what is strongly demanded there?

I'm gonna answer these 2 questions together. The biggest challenge is physical incapability. ;)If I only need sleep for 3 hours a day, I might live well here.

Since I'm not able to sleep so less, time mangement is really important. Here, you can gain too many resources such as professors, outside funding etc and opportunities including job opportunities.  For example, now everyday we have 20 company presentations. You probably have to decide which one to go? And actually most of them sound so interesting. But if you go to every company you feel interested, then you definitely will have no time for your study. People say b-school life is 3S (Study, Sleep, Social) but you can only get 2 of 3. While some peolple might argue I want 0.5 study and 0.5 sleep and full social. It all depends on your personal choice. You have to be very focus and know clearly what you really want. So I do think application is really a good process for you to figure out what you want out of these 2 years.

Personally, I often struggled a lot. I do have interest to explore different industries and job opportunities, talk to more people and join different kind of parties, but I have to constantly ask myself to be concentrated and force myself to make trade-off. MBA study actually is a marathon and you have to make trade-off and plan your running.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 没有账号?

Archiver|手机版|BeBeyond:求职|留学|MBA

GMT+8, 2018-11-20 07:47 , Processed in 0.092968 second(s), 9 queries .