BeBeyond Forums

找回密码
 没有账号?
搜索
热搜: 活动 交友 discuz
楼主: Jinbo

《BeBeyond Alumni友情在线问答》:哈佛商学院 host by Michelle (Sparkles) [复制链接]

发表于 2007-11-20 08:56:16 |显示全部楼层

RE: 《BeBeyond Alumni友情在线问答》:哈佛商学院 host by Michelle (Sparkles)

Hi Michelle,

We cannot say anything more than 'thanks' to your great sharing here.

You are so willing to help, illustrative and inspiring.

Lucky to be one of your teammates as a BBYer!!

发表于 2007-11-21 14:14:49 |显示全部楼层

Sparkle, your response is very enlightening and sincere. Thanks!

发表于 2007-11-21 16:04:42 |显示全部楼层

Sparkle,
One more tough question:
What can you contribute to HBS apart from "coming from China"?

发表于 2007-11-25 00:00:49 |显示全部楼层

回复 33# 的帖子

Hi, James, welcome tough questions, only if it can help your application.

At HBS, I'd say personal contribution is crucial to class discussion. One of our professors commented that he felt so amazing that admission officers can find such a group of students who can always find answers themselves in class no matter what kind of cases are.

For me, apart from "China experience", my industry knowledge and function experience (e.g. finance, strategic planning, operations, etc) added a lot of  value to the class discussion.  Actually we were strongly encouraged to share our relevant experience to guide the class discussion. Sometimes industry insight is very important to a right decision. And learning from your classmates is also another precious opportunity - anyway this is the real life learning! But still, people are so interested in knowing what happened in China!

I still remembered years ago, when I crack those contribution question essay, I made some mistakes and wrote a lot of irrelevant things (such as my hobby and curriculum). If I wrote them again, I would specifically tell the admissions how valuable my experience is to the class and convince him/her to accept me.

[ 本帖最后由 Sparkles 于 2007-11-25 00:03 编辑 ]

发表于 2007-11-25 11:36:17 |显示全部楼层
Hi Sparkles:
thanks for your suggestion about the "what can you contribution to school", it is the hard part in my essay.

Actually, I still have some questions:
1. you suggested we use the experience to replace the hobbies or curriculum, but it will make our essay look "单薄"?
2. I thought we have fully tried to show our experience in other parts. Shall we need to bring some difference in this question?
Obviously, we always want to built a all round figures.

3. About the "experience", Did you mean the industry information?

4. Should we find some sepcific points? or Should we provide our own insights about some fields in China?
All in all, it would be something different?!

BR
Looking forward to your replies

发表于 2007-11-25 11:59:32 |显示全部楼层
Hi Michelle,

Thanks again for your answering.

I have one more question: By now, what do you think the diversity of the HBS class benefits you most?

发表于 2007-11-26 05:50:28 |显示全部楼层
原帖由 SunLin 于 2007-11-25 11:36 发表
Hi Sparkles:
thanks for your suggestion about the "what can you contribution to school", it is the hard part in my essay.

Actually, I still have some questions:
1. you suggested we use the experi ...

Hi, Sunlin, you're right. It is better to show that you're a well-rounded person. But it is also equally or even more important to show some hard facts in the essays. You could use resume or application form to show the other side of you (e.g. extracurriculum). But if you do have something interesting, you should show that in the essays. Industry experience is also another great piece (especially when you can demonstrate that you have good insights) as it is part of diversity which you can contribute to the class/community. -- This is just my personal advice. You definite should judge yourself. It is case-by-case.

发表于 2007-11-26 06:09:03 |显示全部楼层
原帖由 stevenzhj 于 2007-11-25 11:59 发表
Hi Michelle,

Thanks again for your answering.

I have one more question: By now, what do you think the diversity of the HBS class benefits you most?

First benefit is that diversity brings fun to class discussion. For example, some navy people who never had business experience would ask fun questions such as why should we need accounting? Why should we calculate cost if we study marketing well and achieve huge revenue? But in most cases, they asked really good stuff which we took for granted all the time. (e.g. Why should we take out interest and use EBIAT (Earning Before Interest After Tax) as baseline to calculate enterprise value?)

Second benefit is that we can teach each other when we have different backgrounds. Marketing guys teach banker marketing strategy and Finance people teach marketing guys how to do M&A? And army guys can teach us how can we learn leadership from army practise.

At the end of the day, I believe I will forget most of those technical knowledge. But the mindset and ways of thinking will be shaped based on the diverse perspectives. This is the biggest benefit.

发表于 2007-11-26 08:20:58 |显示全部楼层
Michelle,

Thanks so much.

Hope to buy you cup of drinks when you are in town, togther with Jinbo and other bbyers.

发表于 2007-12-2 00:58:10 |显示全部楼层

回复 39# 的帖子

Sure. I will come back this winter. Hope that I can help more bbyers or anyone interested in applying HBS.  We can hold some coffee chat in town. Maybe Steven you can take some initiative to organize the gathering? I'm available in Dec 29th -Jan 9th.

What is very interesting is that this winter several MBA students and I organized a VC/PE trek to China across 7 US B-Schools(HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Chicago, Kellogg, MIT, Columbia). And the responses from the students went so well and VC/PE currently are really hot at business schools. We got about 250 applications although we are only able to afford 30+ slots. So this winter a bunch of US B-school students wil come back and I wish you can find some among them. I can not disclose their information. But if you want to talk to those current students at these 7 schools, please just send me a msg or post here (incl. the info about which school you're interested). I will try my best to invite some of them to the coffee chat too.

[ 本帖最后由 Sparkles 于 2007-12-2 04:17 编辑 ]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 没有账号?

Archiver|手机版|BeBeyond:求职|留学|MBA

GMT+8, 2018-7-16 14:33 , Processed in 0.044214 second(s), 9 queries .