搜索
热搜: 活动 交友 discuz
楼主: Jinbo

《BeBeyond Alumni友情在线问答》:Babson College MBA host by Linda [复制链接]

发表于 2008-1-1 23:07:56 |显示全部楼层

Please help! O about Babson undergrad!

Dear Linda,
Happy New Year!
I am sure you are an extraordinary person just by reading your inspiring and encouraging words. I am convinced that Babson definitely is a unique college worth spending my 4 year undergrade years.
However, I am quite confused about a few thing.
As a high school senior, I am applying to undergraduate colleges in US.

1.I liked Babson very much after many research, however it seems that few people in China have heard of Babson as a famous undergradute college, it does not even have a rank in best universities in US by US News because of its biz specialty. I am not sure if it will be wise to go to a business specialty college when I am going for undergraduate education, suppose to be more varied and colorful.

2.Is it ranked top on entreprenuership for it MBA or undergraduate or both? I am confused by the US news ranking.

3.What is your advice for applying to Babson for undergrad? I mean are they looking for students with very solid entreprenuearship background? My parents are both on financial field. They are not doing business. But I created a biz project for economic class during my exchange year in US and recieved very high appraisal from my teacher. That's all I have concerning business. Are my other credentials from high school like leadership, vouluntering experience,athletic, music and art, academic important? I have good grades and my SAT1 is OK(2080). I feel like I have to be a super entreprenuear fan or has very solid family background on that for getting into Babson.

4The essay topic for undergrads is to write a letter to your new roommates and describe what is it like to live with you and what you are looking for in college. I really realy want to know what kind of undergrads do they admit as you see.

Thank you sooooooooooo much for helping me!
Sorry for taking your time. I hope to hear your advice because you always offer awesome ones!

Best wishes,
Your friend

发表于 2008-1-14 05:14:26 |显示全部楼层
HI, sorry for late.

First of all, big congratulation to you! Elenajin. Your English is terrific! I cannot believe it was done by a student who will apply for undergraduate rather than MBA.

The undergraduate course is very good in Babson. We share many resources, such as library, professors and so on. Many famous alumni come from undergraduate. Frankly, I am not sure how the rank of the undergraduate school is but it deserves you to apply if you are really interested in business. There are both pros and corns to apply Business College rather than some universities. You may more concentrate on business but may not know many different other people such as people in related chemical, math, social science and so on.

About students, they admitted, I can say “diversity”. So do not think what kind of people, they admitted, think about how to demonstrate the best you, best personality and best qualification. There will no fixed formula for the admission. Tell them your passion about the entrepreneur, what makes you shaped to today! Although the reward or appraisal is important to show your achievement, the process and the experience and the meaning to your future is more important to show. It related with your thoughts and your self evaluation.

Good luck! Welcome any more questions if I did not make my answer clear.

Congratulation again! It is very rare that people can get into business so early and that is definitely a great start to think about your career before going to undergraduate.

发表于 2008-1-17 14:08:11 |显示全部楼层

About Babson's Second year MBA quality

Hi Linda,

Thank you for sparing your time on answering my question in the first place.

I have applied for the 2-years full-time MBA program of Babson in 2008 fall, however, I am still worrying about the rumor that the education quality of Babson in the second year is not satisfying when comparing to other B-schools, and Babson used to promise to revamp their second-year curricula to raise their reputation.  

Here I want to ask you that what is your feeling about the second-year education quality, by your own experience and words of grade 2 students?

Since many other famous b-schools are in Boston such as MIT, Harvard and etc, is it allowed to take some courses for credit in them in the second year?

Is that possible to take some oversea consulting projects in the second year?

Happy New Year!  

Best & Regards,
tangsir

发表于 2008-1-29 15:41:25 |显示全部楼层

Dear Linda Wen, Thank you sooooooooo much!

You are too kind for answering my questions and offering great advices.  I am sure everyone here feels so blessed to have you here and appreciate all your help. Thank you so much! God bless you!

I've sent out all my application for Babson, and I am excited for what Babson has to offer after knowing that you are a Babson alumni, such a great person. I wish I could become a person like you to inspire and influence more, and one day fulfill my dream of becoming an entrepreneur.  

I want to be more focused on entreprenuership even though I am a high schooler, because I loved that unique spirit and passion in every entrepreneur. I prefer to planning in advance, so now I will take GMAT XDF lessons this winter break so that I can be more prepared. I will take the GMAT in college because I really wish to go to a good MBA school for further study on Business.  

Thank you again for your answers! I will remember them by heart and pray I can get into Babson.

Best wishes,
Elena

发表于 2009-8-31 16:04:49 |显示全部楼层
Re: Babson Female Leadership Program

Dear Linda,

Really touched and motivated by all your words. Even I haven't met you, I can picture you such a woman that self-motivated, positive and with great passion. I am one of students of 2009 MBA Application Workshop, and plan to apply Babson this year. It's hard to believe that I have a good impression on Babson even don't know Babson a lot. I have some questions for Babson, and really appreciate that you can take some time to reply me, many many thanks!!!

1) It is known to all that Babson is famous for its entrepreneur program, ranks at #1 in US. While I also heard that Babson has quite strong female leadership program, can you give me a brief introduction? Like the curriculum arrangement, what are the differentiation of this program compared to other similar programs in other unversities, can you share with me your feeling or gains.

2)If my career goal is not for entrepreneur, is it still valuable I apply the school? I tentatively position my career goal as a process consultant (my current industry is manufacturing, my main focus is market strategy). And can you share some statistics(percentage) of student occupation distrbution, entreprenure and consulting? And the location of Babson is good, but my concern is that I will have to compete with some top school students for summer intern, so can you share with us your experiences or can give us some advices?

Sorry for ask you tons of questions! Hope it won't take you much of time! Thanks!

p.s.Since Babson will attend Sep 12th MBA Tour, I don't know whether you will be there to represent the school, I really really expect to meet you there and talk to you in person!  I still feel amazed by your great attitude. Thanks again!

Best regards
Fenny Zheng

发表于 2009-9-1 00:06:12 |显示全部楼层

To Fenny and all perspective Babson students

To Fenny and all perspective Babson students

Fenny:

You asked very good questions to Babson. My brief answers are below your questions

1)
It is known to all that Babson is famous for its entrepreneur program, ranks at #1 in US. While I also heard that Babson has quite strong female leadership program, can you give me a brief introduction? Like the curriculum arrangement, what are the differentiation of this program compared to other similar programs in other unversities, can you share with me your feeling or gains.
About class:
For two year program, all the first year program is required. There is no elective. The difference with other school is: we use modules rather than classes. The first year we have 4 modules which refer to 4 business cycles for any company:
Module 1: creative management in dynamic organizations. You need to be creative to have an idea. And yes, creativity can be taught.
Module 2: Assessing Business opportunities. When you have an idea and school will teach you how to transfer it into a business with analysis and assessment
Module 3: designing and managing the delivery system: and then you need deliver the results and services to your clients
Module 4: managing business in a changing global environment: as soon as business takes to the next level, you need think to go to global and re-innovation for an organization or we called  corporate entrepreneurship

We have also a yearlong consulting project with a specific company in which we need to use all what we learned to deliver a recommendation to a real company’s problem.

And many others………the question is how to pick up the one you can most benefit from.

About women MBA:
Too good and too many activities to say. We have “big sister” program which allow second year student to coach the new student to help with each other. We have mentor program which allow alumni to coach second year student about how to land your dream job and how to achieve your career goal. We have monthly seminar to invite an author to introduce her new book. Most of them are very successful female executives. We have many guest speakers as well. And …. You will know to be a woman is so good at Babson.

2)
If my career goal is not for entrepreneur, is it still valuable I apply the school? I tentatively position my career goal as a process consultant (my current industry is manufacturing, my main focus is market strategy). And can you share some statistics(percentage) of student occupation distrbution, entreprenure and consulting? And the location of Babson is good, but my concern is that I will have to compete with some top school students for summer intern, so can you share with us your experiences or can give us some advices?

Yes, entrepreneurship does not mean to set up a new business but is a thinking and action which reflects innovation and beyond tradition. Anyone can apply it if you like the entrepreneurial spirit.

You can search statistics at Babson or business week. Compared with other business schools which focus on supply chain or consulting, we are not so strong on that. But we have a very good professor, Paul Malligan for operation and many other professors. Still it depends on how you can dig out useful resources on campus. Professors here are more avaliable than other schools.

About location: yes you are right. If you focus on getting internship in brand name companies, our brand may not stronger than those of business schools at Boston. But staying far away from those schools does not mean less competition. If you are creative enough, you can always walk out a way. I did not apply for an opened internship but talked with a CEO of startup and got an internship which was never posted and the company never thought of. Now after graduation, I am working on the same way to get a project. At current economy a posted job may get 300 to 500 resumes and cover letters. Your chance to get an interview is 0.2%, nevertheless to say to land a job.

Personally, I am more focusing on small and medium business thus I can help them to grow business quickly, even in the USA, two digits growth for small business is more possible than in big company. You may have more personal impact right away when you work with them.Figuring out what you want and where you want to go is always the tough question for anyone, especially among talents.

About your concerns: I always have some concerns in the two years. There are so many excelent people in MBA program which might make you feel you are nobody or nothing. After experienced concerns and downtime and suffered a lot while comparing my shortcoming with other people's strength, now I understand life can never be perfect. You can never be 100% perfect or even 80% to start doing one thing. Working on uncertainty and figuring out a way rather than spending time on concerns is the key to be sucessful for doing any business. Do accept self without perfect. Since one one canbe perfect. It is easy to say than to do. I am telling myself the same thing and same words these days.

Sorry for ask you tons of questions! Hope it won't take you much of time! Thanks!
Welcome.

p.s.Since Babson will attend Sep 12th MBA Tour, I don't know whether you will be there to represent the school, I really really expect to meet you there and talk to you in person!  I still feel amazed by your great attitude. Thanks again!

Thank you. I will be at New York on Sep 12th. As soon as I come back to China, I love to visit Bebeyond to meet you all and share some pains and gains.

The last thing, do not forget to keep in touch with your teammates. You may see shining words and great spirit here on the web but you may never see how suffering it is at business school. When I was very very down, cannot do anything and was very depressed, my teammates with whom we applied business school together, helped me out. The most valuable people sometime is just beside you and around you but you may not notice right now.

Hope to catch up with you soon. Linda( Yilin Wen)

[ 本帖最后由 lindawen1 于 2009-8-31 22:43 编辑 ]

发表于 2009-9-2 16:13:25 |显示全部楼层

回复 26# 的帖子

Linda,

Thanks so so much! Amazed by your prompt reply. You know what? Your  explanation about entrprenureship do broaden my view, as before, I narrowly thought only those who want to set up their own business is worthwhile to apply Babson. I also read one essay written by you regarding the entrprenureship posted on BBY forum, nice reference for me further understand entrprenureship. And I do love the "Big Sister" Program, actually, I also play as a big sister to help my friends or peers in need. Nice Match!

And I will keep doing school research and try to reflect my learning and understanding of the school into the essays.

Really look forward to meet you on the Sep Event.

Thanks for your time replying me again.

Best regards
Fenny
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 没有账号?

Archiver|手机版|BeBeyond:求职|留学|MBA

GMT+8, 2018-2-20 13:47 , Processed in 0.099647 second(s), 8 queries .