找回密码
 没有账号?
搜索
热搜: 活动 交友 discuz
查看: 8370|回复: 12

《BeBeyond Alumni友情在线问答》:达顿商学院 host by York [复制链接]

发表于 2007-11-21 11:22:17 |显示全部楼层
Dear All,

York, one of our former teammates and now studying at Darden volunteered to help answer questions about Darden here at the forum.

York is a second year MBA student at Darden and he recently got job offer from Bain. Prior to Darden MBA, York was a Product Manager from a leading global IT company. And he had run his own business for a couple of years. I believe York will be able to answer your questions on Darden MBA studies and more. And I believe York can offer some good suggestions on career development as well. York will invite his classmates to answer question to provide a different perspective.

As you all know that mba student is super busy, so he will to come to the forum once or twice a week to answer questions. For the general questions, he will answer here.

Thank you, York!

So, guys, just ask your questions about Darden by replying to this message.

发表于 2007-11-21 11:38:22 |显示全部楼层

RE: 《BeBeyond Alumni友情在线问答》:达顿商学院 host by York

Thanks Wei for opening the thread and introducing me.  I still remember the slogan in Bebeyond "be specific, be personal".  So I will try that again:)

Hi all,

It's my pleasure to answer questions here.  I was in Bebyond workshop in 2006 and learned a lot in here, and more importantly, I had a lot of fun (maybe too much fun).

I know Darden is probably not a school that first come to your mind when you are thinking about Harvard, Chicago or Kellogg.  That's true. And to be honest with you, Darden wasn't my first choice either.  But after studing here, I feel Darden offers much more than I expected.  It offers great learning experience, career opportunity, great enviornment, and a very supportive community.  Let me introduce these one by one in following posts.

发表于 2007-11-21 11:46:17 |显示全部楼层

Career,

Darden definetely offer same career opportunity with some higher ranking school. All major i-banking and consulting, not to say those top industry companies come to Darden campus to recurit.  And for a student, as long as he get the chance to talk to these target companies, it doesn't matter you are in this school or that school.  What's more important is all on yourself - whether you have a great resume, whether you can network with them in a good manner, whether you can rock the interview.

The recuriting season is not over yet but we already have 4 out of 6 Chinese mainland students got offers from finance firms, consulting, and general management.  I am very confident that everyone will land their ideal job before graduation.  What else do you want?

发表于 2007-11-21 12:19:06 |显示全部楼层

Learning experience - case method

Didn't you have enough lecture from your high school and undergraduate;I still remember what I did in my university in the last year - It was so easy to fall asleep in the classroom and I almost never went to some of the classes, because I can read those text books by myself. (also because I always slept over:_).I think many of you had similar experience.

But in Darden it is totally different.I never skipped any class unless it's recuriting or real personal emergency.The class is fun and energetic. It's more of a discussion,and bouncing ideas with your classmates and professor.You have to keep thinking during the class, and grab your chance to speak in front of your 60 classmates - that's terrifying in the begining but soon you will love it.

The learning team in the first year is a lot of fun too.You will have 5 teammates from different industries and functions. 3-4 of them will come from US and probably you will have another International team mate. It's a great way to force us to talk with US classmates everyday. and the benefit is obvious.  Generally people are really really nice (not saying that there's no jerk, but chance is very small).You learn from them, and teach them.  That's a great practice of leadership and teamwork and you will make good friends with them.

Well, the downside of case method is that the workload is pretty heavy, because for each case, you will have to learn three times - do it by yourself, discuss in your learning team, and discuss in your class on next day.That's true, and many people struggled to keep up with the speed.I discussed with friends from other school, and generally, I think Darden could be ranking at top 5 in terms of workload.But as long as you are comfortable with numbers (or on the other hand, you want to be comfortable with numbers), and don't mind stretch yourslef a little bit, it isn't so bad.

And think about this,your hardwork will always payoff.You will get a very solid ground of the concept that you learned, and more importantly, you learn how to ask the right qustion and how to structure a solution. that's always more important than what concept or tools that you learn.In real job, Darden people have very good reputation of capable, and certainly, hardworking.

发表于 2007-12-14 08:14:09 |显示全部楼层

Darden in Businessweek

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/dec2007/bs2007129_033523.htm?chan=bschools_bschool+index+page_top+stories
This is a much better describtion of Darden life... though not everyone put Pizza into his coffe cup.

发表于 2008-1-2 05:09:48 |显示全部楼层
Thank you for sharing so much information!
身未动 心已远

发表于 2008-2-5 12:16:29 |显示全部楼层
Hi qiqi,

I applied Darden R2. However, my on-line application status is still 'in-progress'. The definitation of 'in-progress' is
Your application has been electronically received but we have not yet begun processing. Please be patient as we manually verify receipt of each item listed below. Depending on the number of applications received, this could take several days. Please check your status again later.

I wrote serveral emails to adcom, but no feedback at all. And I tried call adcom office, but it is quite strange that the number is always busy. I guess maybe the number post in the website does not work.

I am quite worry about my application. I do not know whether any material is missing in my package. Could you give me some advice on my current situation? Thanks millions!

Lynn

发表于 2012-4-26 10:19:17 |显示全部楼层
:)
一念愚即般若绝,一念智即般若生

发表于 2012-4-26 10:19:22 |显示全部楼层
:) :)
一念愚即般若绝,一念智即般若生

发表于 2012-4-26 10:19:28 |显示全部楼层
:) :) :)
一念愚即般若绝,一念智即般若生
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 没有账号?

Archiver|手机版|BeBeyond:求职|留学|MBA

GMT+8, 2018-2-19 13:35 , Processed in 0.082998 second(s), 10 queries .