查看: 9940|回复: 5

BeBeyond留学申请九步第二步:思考什么? [复制链接]

发表于 2006-8-18 15:50:36 |显示全部楼层
The 9-Step Guide to Successful Applications to US Schools
[size=xx-large]2. What to Think?[/size]

original link:
http://www.bebeyond.com/StudyAbroad/AppGuide/AppGuide2.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------
So, what should you think about? At minimal, you should categorically think the following questions and come up with some answers to them even though the answers might not be that convincing. But it will be a good start.

Why do you want to study in America? Don't just list the following reasons: (1) America has the best educational system. (2) I want an American degree. (3) Everybody I know is going, so should I. (4) Your parents expect you to go. These are not "true" reasons!

Instead, try to ask yourself the following questions: (1) How am I going to develop my career in the next 1-5 years? (2) What do I really want to do with my life? (3) How much do I really know about America? (4) How big is my chance go to American given my background and different strategies that I am going to use?

Believe it or not, if you know enough about America -- its educational system and work environment -- as well as your own strength and weakness, many of you will have a much clear idea as to how you are going to pursue your going-to-America dream. For example, many may decide that going to America through an American job offer is much easier than through an F-1 visa. (see related information at the Work Abroad section at BeBeyond.)

What is your plan in the States? Knowing your plan now or at least having thought out some possibilities will have significant impact on your study and career in the US. For example, if you want to teach in an American college after graduation, you'd better get your Ph.D. from a prestigious university. So if you can only go to the States with a scholarship from a middle-tier school, prepare for a transfer to a better university as soon as possible. Again, to develop your plan in the States while you are still in China, you need to obtain as much information about the US as possible.

>> I want to comment on/ask questions about this article.
>> Read other reader's comments about this article.
>> I want to e-mail this article to my friends.

How are you going to support your education financially? If the plan is to get financial aid, how are you going to get it? Just get as high as possible scores? This might not work! If the plan is to have a sponsor, how are you going to get a reasonable sponsorship that a visa officer will believe? If your plan is to use your own money, are there better ways than simply showing a bank letter to gain a visa officer's trust? If working part-time is part of your plan to support your study, which of the American cities should choose so you can find jobs easily?

What is your application strategy? If scores are no longer the key factor, how are you going to apply? How are you going to convince the admission officers that you are one of the students they should never miss? What kind of self-image do you want to present to the admission officers, based on your background and your aspiration? Who should be writing your reference letters that will support image instead of weakening it?

There are a lot of questions to think about and really, the more you think, the more likely that you will find your ways to a US university or a scholarship. Or you will realize that your way of going to America is not through schools but something else like a job offer. Just think how many Chinese students who had no relatives or friends in the States, who was penniless, and who were just "average” students have come to America in the past 20 years. If they can, you can!

The key, besides working and studying hard, is to keep thinking and to know well of both America and yourself. This way, you will find solutions to almost every difficulty that you will encounter. Once again, as mentioned in Step 1 of the guide, in order to think well for yourself, you need to do three things: keep thinking, obtain enough information, and communicate with others with similar experience and intentions. At BeBeyond.com, we intend to help you and all members to help each other in precisely these three areas.

(Author: Jinbo Xie, BeBeyond.com)

发表于 2012-4-16 22:26:17 |显示全部楼层
:)
一念愚即般若绝,一念智即般若生

发表于 2012-4-21 14:48:24 |显示全部楼层
老姚
BeBeyond Make a difference for your life
021-6422-8530 / 8536 / 8539
E-mail: yaoyinghui@bebeyond.com

发表于 2012-5-14 10:54:56 |显示全部楼层
:)
一念愚即般若绝,一念智即般若生
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 没有账号?

Archiver|手机版|BeBeyond:求职|留学|MBA

GMT+8, 2018-4-26 04:18 , Processed in 0.268413 second(s), 10 queries .